Saturday, March 3, 2012

Product Review: Dr Doherty's Gluten-Free Enzymes & Liquid Vitamin D-3




Hello everyone,

I have been having a great time testing out foods, vitamins, probiotics and recipes. Stay tuned, I have so much to share. If you have any ideas for a review, or a great recipe that you want to share, please send me an email or leave a comment. I love reader involvement. This week I am reviewing a few more products by Dr. Doherty.

BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER ...
If you have not read my first Dr. Doherty review or if you do not remember it, please do so by clicking on this link ... Product Review: Dr. Doherty's Gluten-Free Vitamins

Okay, now that everyone is caught up, today I will be reviewing Dr. Doherty's Enzymes and Dr. Doherty's Liquid Vitamin D3. Let's get started.


Digestive Vitality Enzyme

From Dr. Doherty's Gluten-Free Vitamins website
"Enzymes are proteins made by our bodies that break down specific types of foods. Some enzymes, like lipase, break down fats, proteases break down proteins and amylases break down carbohydrates. Enzymes are a critical part of digestion and nutritional absorption. C-liac Vitality Enzyme is a broad spectrum digestive enzyme that helps gently improve and enhance digestion. This is the same vegetarian enzyme formula that is in the C-liac Vitality Packs. The lipase in the formula is especially helpful for celiacs who are in the early stages of healing their villi and may need more support than can be found in the packs. The lipase also helps absorb the fat soluble vitamins, A,D,E and K as well as essential fatty acids. This enzyme issue is often why celiacs don’t tolerate multivitamins very well. Ideally, enzymes are taken with each meal to help break down and assimilate your food, leading to fewer digestive symptoms such as gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhea. Take one to two tablets with each meal. And of course they are gluten free and manufactured under the strictest quality control in the United States."








My experience

My husband and myself both gave these enzymes a fair week in court. The verdict ... We both noticed an improvement in digestion taking these enzymes. My husband is a better judge of enzymes then I am. He eats a much larger spectrum of foods and always takes enzymes. I on the other hand do not take an enzyme regularly and eat a very limited diet. Sometimes he actually searches my stash of health shakes, powders, multi's and supplements for some kind of enzyme to take. It is safe to say that he really likes enzymes, and finds them useful. He finds that a high quality enzyme is especially useful when he eats junk food; such as chips, ice cream or candy. Rather than feeling heavy after eating, regardless of it is a healthy meal, my husband says that he feels light and energetic when taking high quality enzymes with food. He also notices an improvement in regularity and quality of stools when taking a good enzyme. He has given Dr. Doherty's enzymes his personal seal of approval, and so have I. I noticed a big improvement in the quality of my stools. They were lighter and more solid. I noticed that if I had a stomachache I could take two or three of these enzymes and my stomach stopped hurting. I did not experience any fructose malasorption symptoms the way that so many other supplements and vitamins trigger in me. I really like Dr Doherty's vitamins and supplements. Dr Doherty's enzymes are very pure. She uses only the finest ingredients possible and they are all gluten free. Although fructose malabsorption is not the same as gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, wheat is a fructan and is troublesome for fructmals. I really liked taking these enzymes. I would continue to take them.

Dr. Doherty has chose to sell her products direct, to keep costs down. The entire line of Dr. Doherty products are reasonable in price with the Digestive Vitality Enzymes costing $19.00 for 120 tablets. The directions say to take 1-2 tablets, 3 times daily with meals or as directed by your health care professional. This is a great price for a high quality enzyme. Not to mention that all of the Dr. Doherty's products contain NO yeast, wheat, gluten, egg, milk/dairy, corn, sugar, starch, artificial coloring, preservatives or flavoring. The fish oil capsule contains trace amounts of soy. All of the other products and components are soy free. Sounds like the perfect enzyme to me.

5 Stars ...

To learn more visit Dr Doherty.



C-Liac Vitality Liquid Vitamin D3






From the Dr. Doherty Website
"Vitamin D is best known for its role in promoting healthy bones. It plays a critical role in the absorption of calcium and research in the last few years has shown that it has many vital roles in maintaining and restoring health. Vitamin D is the “sunshine vitamin”, and can be made by our skin. The darker someone’s skin the more they are at risk of developing vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is important for healthy bones, effective immune function, cancer prevention, asthma prevention, mood maintenance and infection prevention. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin so people with malabsorption are at high risk of being deficient. C-liac vitality vitamin D is in a base of medium chain triglycerides, and easily digestible form of fat that is helpful for those with malabsorption and enzymatic insufficiencies (like newly diagnosed celiacs, those with pancreatic insufficiency or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).
Each bottle contains a sixty day supply of 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) the active form of this vitamin.
It is important to have blood tests to monitor your vitamin D levels. This is because, being a fat soluble vitamin, it can build up in your system and cause toxicity. Please have your practitioner check your levels at eight-week intervals while taking high dose vitamin D. The ideal blood level ranges for D3 appears to be between sixty and eighty ng/ml and over one hundred ng/ml is considered toxic."



My Experience

During the winter I am in the house for weeks, sometimes even months at a time. Hermet? Not quite, but I definitely enjoy my cozy home. I like my comfy nest so much that I rarely leave it. I try to take a walk out in the yard and soak up some sunlight at least once a day. I have been doing a lot of research lately on the effects of the sun. This research synchronized with my review on Dr Doherty's gluten free vitamin D perfectly. Vitamin D is known as the sunshine vitamin, and can be made by our skin. I learned more from doing this review than any other review to date.

Here are some important facts I learned about sunlight and Vitamin D.

*Known as the sunshine vitamin, your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin.
*The type of sunlight that stimulates the body to produce vitamin D does not penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
*Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
*Vitamin D deficiency is a world-wide epidemic.
*Vitamin D is necessary for more than bone health in humans. It plays a huge role in immunity, preventing osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, asthma, infections, breast cancer, and even the effects of diabetes.
*Vitamin D is heart healthy.
*Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia.
*Vitamin D deficiency causes Rickets.
*Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches and pains.
*Vitamin D prevents excessive cell production associated with psoriasis.
*It is possible for vitamin D to be taken in toxic doses. Blood tests are available to check levels.
*Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium. Vitamin D long has been known to positively affect bone health by helping maintain calcium balance in the bloodstream.
*Vitamin D3 is the type of vitamin D the body naturally produces in the skin in response to sun exposure.
*Vitamin D3 is both a vitamin and a hormone.
*Vitamin D3 supplementation is an effective alternative to UV exposure, provided adequate doses are taken.
*Vitamin D3 supplements come in two forms: oil (cod liver oil-based) - fat-soluble vitamin D, includes liquid drops or gel caps & dry powder (lanolin-based) - water-soluble vitamin D, includes capsules or tablets. Both water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamin D are equally absorbed and metabolized by the body.
*Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin so people with malabsorption are at high risk of being deficient.
*Those with dark skin need more light exposure to get their vitamin D.
*If you have limited sun exposure, live in a northern climate, have dark skin or eat few vitamin D-containing foods, you probably need to take a supplement. Ask your doctor how much.


As I was researching all of this I began to see the importance of getting adequate amounts of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin so people with malabsorption are at high risk of being deficient. Excited that the universe brought me a Vitamin D supplement to try from a well-respected and trusted source, Dr. Doherty's Gluten Free Vitamins, I knew that fate must be telling me something. Life loves me and is so good to me. I am usually so afraid to try vitamins and supplements because my body is so sensitive and intolerant of so much. My body gets out of balance easily and stays this way for days if I consume something I am intolerant of. I feel pretty confident when it comes to taking vitamins from Dr Doherty. Dr Doherty's Gluten free vitamins are very pure. She designs them down to the molecule, using only the highest quality ingredients for her products.

*C-liac vitality vitamin D is a gluten free supplement, that is free of yeast, wheat, gluten, egg, milk/dairy, corn, sugar, starch, artificial coloring, preservatives or flavoring.

*C-liac vitality vitamin D is in a base of medium chain triglycerides, and easily digestible form of fat that is helpful for those with malabsorption and enzymatic insufficiencies (like newly diagnosed celiacs, those with pancreatic insufficiency or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).

*Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin so people with malabsorption are at high risk of being deficient making this vitamin extremely important.

I began taking Dr Doherty's Vitamin D3 a month ago, 1/2 dropper, once a day. It is possible to take too much so I was careful only to take the amount directed on the bottle. This is a liquid vitamin D. It is in a base of an easily digestible form of fat that is helpful for those with malabsorption. I use the medicine dropper and squirt a half a dropper into my mouth. It tastes like cooking oil of some kind. I then take a drink of water to wash down the flavor. There is no aftertaste at all. It is quick and easy and best of all it caused absolutely no negative side effects whatsoever. I am completely hooked.

One bottle of C-Liac Vitality Liquid Vitamin D3 costs $21.00. Each bottle contains a sixty day supply of 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) the active form of this vitamin. Dr Doherty sells her supplements direct to keep the costs down. To learn more or to place an order please visit Dr Doherty.

5 stars ...




To learn more about Dr Doherty's Gluten Free Vitamins visit her at her at www.glutenfreevitamins.com

Have a blessed weekend everyone. If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line as a comment below.

Maria

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Maria. I never knew how valuable vitamin D is. This was a very interesting review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,

    I have been told from my doctor that I must take a vitamin D supplement. Unfortunately they all make me experience terrible pain in my stomach. I will give this Vitamin D supplement a try. It is so great that you test all these products out first. It really means a lot to someone like me who does who is living from soc sec benefits. My funds are strictly limited. Bless you in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been sick for two years. Then I discovered this blog and have recently begun to feel better. Now the doctors are saying that I need to start to take a multivitamin. I am worried because I have had such a hard time with food allergies and such. I am going to try the doherty multi. I will keep the group involved here with a follow up.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had great success with the entire gluten free vitamin line. I bought them for my mother, who is a FM. I am gluten intolerant myself, although I also have a little trouble with the fructose and felt that these are really great vitamins. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete