Thursday, January 5, 2012

Product Review: Enzymedica Digest Spectrum™


Happy New Year! Welcoming 2012 with gratitude and anticipation. Life is grand and I am so happy to be a part of it. I wish everyone a year overflowing in health, nutrition and the spark of life in your eyes, lighting up even the darkest of closets and creepy corners.

I had the opportunity to do some product testing over the holiday season. With all the cakes, treats and sweets being passed around I found myself putting some forbidden fruit onto my plate. Lucky for me I had success with an enzyme formula known as Digest Spectrum. Digest spectrum is made by one of the most trusted brands in enzymes, Enzymedica. Enzymedica is one of the best places to go for enzymes, having many award winning options to choose from. They have a superior reputation, superior quality, provide education material to anyone who is interested and work with several non-profit organizations including Vitamin Angel and Autism Hope Alliance. Best of all, they do not use any fillers. This is so important to us "sensitives", who respond to even trace amounts. Enzymedica continues there product development and research, building there name and there brand one solid step at a time. I have great respect for this company.

Price on the Enzymedica website

$14.98 - 30 Caps
$39.98 - 90 Caps

For best prices check Fructmal's Corner at the bottom of this blog.

The following is from the Enzymedica website describing Digest Spectrum.

Enzymes Provide Support

Our body uses enzymes to enhance digestion and turn the food we eat into energy. Produced throughout the digestive tract and available from raw foods and supplements, these enzymes include: amylase for carbohydrates, lipase for fats, protease for proteins, and cellulase for fiber. Like tiny shears, enzymes help break down the foods we eat leaving particles small enough to provide nutrition to the cells after they enter the bloodstream. In addition to aiding digestion, some enzymes provide additional support to the body by eliminating harmful toxins and by-products.

Use in Combination with Special Diets

Reducing or eliminating the foods which trigger digestive problems is a key part of managing food sensitivities. While special diets are helpful to those with impaired digestion, dietary modification used in combination with enzyme supplementation provides peace of mind and complete spectrum digestive support.

contains no corn, rice, soy, potato, gluten, casein or sugar, making it an ideal choice for children and adults with multiple dietary sensitivities.

The Problem…

Food sensitivities (or intolerances) consist of an adverse reaction, sometimes delayed, to a food or compound found in food which is often the result of an enzyme deficiency. Enzyme deficiencies not only prevent the complete digestion of specific compounds commonly found in food groups, but also results in the symptoms associated with food intolerance. Lacking the required enzymes for digestion also contributes to an inability to properly digest the nutrients in these food groups.

The symptoms of food intolerance usually affect the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract, and the skin. Symptoms most commonly observed with food intolerance consist of nausea, constipation, gas, diarrhea, skin rash or hives, mucus production, congestion and cough.


My Digest Spectrum Experience


For one month I used Digest Spectrum during every meal. Most of the time I was sticking to my diet of mainly rice, spinach and the occasional fruit or variation. Most of the time I am symptom free simply by diet alone, however I did notice my "movements" to be firmer and better formed while taking Digest Spectrum with my normal diet. The real test really came with my "holiday treats" that I experimented with. My husband, who eats pretty much anything he wants, participated in the Digest Spectrum experiment with me.

My husband and I both really enjoyed the flavor and scent of Digest Spectrum. My husband noticed a definite difference in the way his stomach felt. He said that he felt less full when he took the digest spectrum when he had something to eat. He also noticed that a stomach ache was rare when taking the Digest Spectrum. He had less headaches and generally felt lighter and in better spirits.

I took Digest Spectrum with every meal and every snack for one month. As stated earlier my stools had better form. When I took the Digest Spectrum with some "forbidden foods" I had mixed results. I experimented with gluten free cookies and cakes, sprinkled cinnamon and sugar in my coffee and tea, filled my plate with fruit and veggies of varied colors and snacked on many different kinds of nuts and seeds. Basically I was a little more liberal than normal, but still very strict. I did not eat any dairy, gluten or high fructose corn syrup. Recognizing the nature of food intolerance is so important in this experiment. Many symptoms are not experienced until days later so specific results are difficult to calculate. It is tough, if not impossible, to list specific ingredients, proportions and the amount of enzyme capsules taken, although I can honestly say that Digest Spectrum worked very well for me most of the time. Also, everyone is different. Overall I felt Digest Spectrum to be helpful, in combination with proper diet ... and dare I say attitude. Sometimes it takes a strong willed intention to find what works for you. We truly are walking, talking chemistry labs. What works for one person, can also work for you, but not always.

Bottom line: Digest Spectrum is definitely worth a try.

If you have your own experiences with Digest Spectrum please share them with everyone below.

Wishing you a prosperous year of health and deliciousness,

Maria

5 comments:

  1. I also had success with Digest Spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria,

    I really enjoy your blog. You have done a very good job organizing difficult information into clear, simple terms. I am having some difficulty getting outside this winter and feel that I am deprived of Vitamin D because of it. Can you suggest a supplement for Vitamin D deficiency?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I am so glad that you found my blog.

    One of my favorite ways of adding extra Vitamin D into my diet without worrying about any allergies or intolerances is by taking Cod Liver Oil. Cod liver oil is a great source of vitamin A and D, along with having very high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. It is very important to choose a high quality, reputable cod liver. I trust Nordic Naturals. They are by far offer the best fish oil. Nordic Naturals also has a Vitamin D3 supplement available. I have never tried it myself. If you do please let me and everyone else know what you think of it.

    Hope this helps!

    Love brings miracles,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all that you do with this blog. I had one years back and I know how much work it can be. This blog has helped me so much and brought me hope. Now my son, who is not even one year old, has been diagnosed with FM. I know that it is not a big deal as long as I am educated. Thank you again Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I am so happy that I can share my experiences with others.

    Love and Blessings to you and your son,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete